3 Recipes to Try this Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I always find myself making the same old dishes. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes. So this year, I reached out to you gals for some Thanksgiving recipes to try. Each submission was entered in a drawing to win 1 of 4 $50 VISA gift cards! Here are a few of my favorites:
Orange Cranberry & Banana Nut Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries split in half
- 2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ chopped nut (desired taste) i.e walnuts/pecans
- For an extra spin add ½ cup chocolate morsels
- In a small bowl mash the bananas to desired consistency.
- Add orange juice, zest and eggs to the bananas and mix. Set aside.
- Wash and cut cranberries in half. Pat dry and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix
- Cut butter into mixture and mix until resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until moisten.
- Chop nuts to desired size.
- Fold in cranberries and nuts to the mixture. If using chocolate fold in now.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8X4 loaf pan.
- Heat oven to 350 and bake for 65-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool pan before removing to wire rack.
- Finish cooling before cutting
Submitted by: Hanna Weaver
Cream Corn Like No Other
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, combine the corn, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and butter.
- Whisk together the miulk and flour, and stir into the corn mixture. Cook stirring over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, and corn is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted. Serve hot.
Submitted by: Debbie Wilson
Recipe by: Diana Yockey
Sweet & Spicy Potato Bake
- 4 to 5 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup low-fat lactose free milk
- 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil (or melted butter which is not lactose free)
- Coat a 2 -quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake potatoes for 50 minutes or until tender.
- Peel potatoes, removing strings, and mash. Stir in syrup, eggs, spices, milk. Pour into prepared dish.
- Combine pecans, brown sugar, flour and oil in a bowl; spread topping over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
Submitted by: Michelle Reyes
There’s still time! Email me a Thanksgiving recipe at GetYourWorthOn@gmail.com for a chance to win 1 of 4 $50 VISA gift cards! It’s as easy as snapping a pic of one of your recipe cards! I’ll announce the winners tomorrow afternoon!