Don’t like tomatoes? Ok.
Don’t like sour cream? Not a problem.
Want yours in a bowl? Sure.
Want it wrapped in a tortilla? Done.
The only problem is that Chipotle visits can be inconvenient and even costly. Plus I usually have all of the ingredients I need to make my perfect bowl right in my own kitchen! So I decided to take a chance and attempt a chipotle style dinner at home. And it did NOT disappoint!
I heated up a can of black beans and steamed some brown rice. (I put cilantro and lime in my rice.)
Then I made some traditional pico, guacamole and salsa, grilled a few chicken breasts, set out some sour cream and cheese… But something didn’t taste right. I forgot my absolute FAVORITE ingredient… Chipotle’s corn salsa! So I did a little experimenting (and snooped on Chipotle’s menu) and came up with a recipe of my own.
12 oz. back of frozen sweet corn
- 2 juicy limes
- 2 medium sized jalapenos (chopped and seeded)
- A handful (or more) of cilantro
- 1/2 a red onion diced
- Salt to taste
- Microwave your frozen sweet corn just enough to where it isn’t frozen anymore. I did 30 seconds, so it was still cold. Just not frozen.
- Combine the corn, diced onion, chopped jalapenos, lime juice and cilantro into a large bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly. Season with salt to taste.
This recipe is customizable. If you like it limey, add more lime. If you want more heat, leave some of the jalapeno seeds in! The beauty is that it’s sort of sweet, so even the kids will eat it. What are some of your favorite copycat recipes?