Holiday Planning and Organizing
The colors are changing on the leaves while they begin to gently fall to the ground. Halloween. Thanksgiving. Christmas. Wow! The holiday’s are here. The first thought of this could send you into a panic attack. But don’t worry — start planning and organizing early (now) for a simple and easy holiday season.
I have a few little morsels of inspiration to bring some joy into the most joyful time of year. Begin the holiday season early! I’ve been making lists all year of what I want to do to make my holiday season the best one yet. (And speaking of lists, use my Holiday Checklist to make sure you stay within your budget this gift-giving season.)
- Plan ahead. Decorate and decide on costumes, candy, trick-or-treating routes and times early. Getting everyone on the same page makes getting ready the day of enjoyable.
- Once the holiday is over, pack away all the decorations in a tote labeled “Halloween.” Add a list to the outside so you know exactly what is in the box to avoid purchasing duplicates in the future.
- Start gathering coupons and picking up items when they are on sale as early as possible (without letting them spoil!). Search the sale ads in order to get the most for your money. Think outside the box: a traditional dinner is expected and can be expensive; take advantage of sales on other items — who knows? You may start a new family tradition!
- As with the Halloween items, pack decorations away in a plastic container with a list of items on the outside. Knowing exactly what you have and where it is seems to be half the battle when it comes to decorating for the holiday season.
- The earlier you start the better. I’ve been making lists for family and friends throughout the year. Getting gifts and cards sent out as early as possible not only beats the shipping rush but will save you money, too (no rush/overnight shipping fees!).
- Pick up decorations throughout the year as well. Add them to the storage totes you have for holiday decorating. Make sure to add the new items to your inventory list to avoid duplicates!
Avoiding stress and aggravation during the next two months is never easy. By taking a few easy steps to add some order to the chaos will make the holidays more enjoyable. After all, this is supposed to be the happiest time of the year — make the most of it with a smile on your face, a song in your heart and organization in your home. The extra effort will be worth it!